Pages

Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Coronavirus: Bolton Restrictions Tightened Amid Rise in Cases

 


RAHUL SHARMA DEBT CONNECT IN MANCHESTER, UK,





Tighter coronavirus restrictions have been introduced in Bolton, including only allowing takeaways and curtailing nightlife, after a rise in cases.

All hospitality venues will be limited to takeaway and must be closed to customers between 22:00 BST and 05:00 each day.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock said the town in Greater Manchester had "the highest case rate in the country."

A further 2,460 new coronavirus cases were reported across the UK on Tuesday.

Overall, there have been 8,396 new cases reported since Sunday.

A further 32 deaths within 28 days of a positive test across all settings were recorded on Tuesday - with the average number of daily deaths over the past week now around 11.

Ministers and government advisers expressed concern over a "sharp rise" in cases and a "heartfelt" apology was issued following shortages in England's testing system.

Mr Hancock told the House of Commons on Tuesday: "Unfortunately, after improving for several weeks, we've seen a very significant rise in cases in Bolton.

"The rise in cases in Bolton is partly due to socialising by people in their 20s and 30s. We know this from contact tracing.

"And through our contact tracing system we've identified a number of pubs at which the virus has spread significantly."

He said there were 120 cases per 100,000 in Bolton, which had already been under stricter lockdown measures.

The new measures, which came into force as Mr Hancock addressed the Commons, include:

Tuesday, September 8, 2020

TikTok Suicide Video: it’s Time Platforms Collaborated to Limit Disturbing Content

 


RAHUL SHARMA DEBT CONNECT IN MANCHESTER, UK,





A disturbing video purporting to show a suicide is reportedly doing the rounds on the popular short video app TikTok, reigniting debate about what social media platforms are doing to limit circulation of troubling material.

According to media reports, the video first showed up on Facebook in late August but has been re-uploaded and shared across Instagram and TikTok — reportedly sometimes cut with seemingly harmless content such as cat videos.

TikTok users have warned others to swipe away quickly if they see a video pop up showing a man with long hair and a beard.

A statement by TikTok quoted by News.com.au said:

Schools and child safety advocates have warned parents to be alert for the possibility their child may see — or may have already seen — the video if they are a TikTok or Instagram user.

The sad reality is users will continue to post disturbing content and it is impossible for platforms to moderate before posting. And once a video is live, it doesn’t take long for the content to migrate across to other platforms.

Pointing the finger at individual platforms such as TikTok won’t solve the problem. What’s needed is a coordinated approach where the big social media giants work together.

Monday, September 7, 2020

Birmingham Stabbings: 'Strong Response' to Manhunt CCTV

 


RAHUL SHARMA DEBT CONNECT IN MANCHESTER, UK,





Police hunting a man suspected of killing one person and injuring seven others in stabbings across Birmingham city centre say they have had a "strong response" after releasing CCTV footage.

The attacks in the early hours of Sunday sparked a massive manhunt.

Images of the man officers want to find were published on Sunday evening.

Detectives have been working through the night following leads from the public to identify and find the suspect, West Midlands Police tweeted.

The attacks happened at four different locations across the city centre during a 90-minute spell.

A 23-year-old man was killed in Irving Street at 01:50 BST on Sunday, while a man and a woman, aged 19 and 32, suffered critical stabbing injuries.

Five other people, aged between 23 and 33, were injured and taken to hospital. Two have since been discharged.

CCTV footage released on Sunday evening shows a man wearing a baseball cap, a dark hoodie with white drawstrings, dark-coloured trousers and shoes.

He is seen standing and walking on a street corner.

Three hours after the images were published, West Midlands Police tweeted: "We've had a strong response following our appeal to trace the #BirminghamStabbings suspect.

"Our detectives are following up several new lines of enquiry. This man is wanted on suspicion of murder.

"We've got a team of detectives working through the night to identify and trace the suspect."

It added that a special hotline has been set up for members of the public to pass on information.

Earlier in the day, Ch Supt Steve Graham told reporters: "At this stage we believe that the attacks were random and we have no indication of a motive."

He urged the public to remain vigilant, and call 999 if they spotted anything suspicious.

Friday, September 4, 2020

Jessica Krug: George Washington University Professor Says She Lied About Being Black

 


RAHUL SHARMA DEBT CONNECT IN MANCHESTER, UK,





A US academic whose work focuses on Africa and the African diaspora has said she lied about being black.

Jessica Krug, an associate professor at George Washington University, admitted that she was in fact a white Jewish woman from Kansas City.

"I have built my life on a violent anti-Black lie, and I have lied in every breath I have taken," she wrote.

Her case bears strong parallels to Rachel Dolezal, a white race activist who claimed to be black.

Ms Dolezal first made headlines in 2015 when her parents outed her as white.

The former civil rights activist and African studies instructor had kept up the pretence of being African American for years, but said she "identified as black".

Writing in a Medium post published on Thursday, Jessica Krug said she had falsely assumed identities "that I had no right to claim: first North African Blackness, then US rooted Blackness, then Caribbean rooted Bronx Blackness".

She described this behaviour as "the very epitome of violence, of thievery and appropriation, of the myriad ways in which non-Black people continue to use and abuse Black identities and cultures", adding that she had continued the pretence even in her personal relationships.

She blamed her lies on mental health issues and trauma experienced in her early years, although she said this was not an excuse for her actions.

Ms Krug's post did not give a reason for her decision to admit her deception, nor its timing. However, screenwriter Hari Ziyad said her admission came "because she had been found out".

"Jess Krug... is someone I called a friend up until this morning when she gave me a call admitting to everything written here. She didn't do it out of benevolence," he wrote on Twitter.

According to media reports, Ms Krug also used the name Jessica La Bombalera as an activist.

In one video posted earlier this year, she berated white New Yorkers for failing to "yield their time for Black and Brown indigenous New Yorkers".

George Washington University, where Ms Krug teaches courses in African, Caribbean and diaspora history, has said it is "aware" of Ms Krug's Medium post but could not comment further on the case.

Thursday, September 3, 2020

Who is Tyler Carter and what are the Sexual Assault Allegations Against Him?

 



RAHUL SHARMA DEBT CONNECT IN MANCHESTER, UK,





The 29-year-old rock singer has been a part of several rock bands – and released his own EP record.

Who is Tyler Carter?
Carter, 29, is a rock singer who was known for singing in bands including A Path Less Traveled; Woe, Is Me; and Issues.

He was born December 30, 1991 in Georgia.

Carter began playing the drums at a young age, and after playing in a praise band at church, joined A Path Less Traveled in 2008, according to AllMusic.

The following year, he joined Woe, Is Me, and in 2011, he resigned from the group.

Carter then began working with Tyler "Scout Acord and Miachael Bohn, and formed the band Issues.

In 2015, Carter released his own solo EP.

What are the sexual assault allegations against him?
Sexual assault allegations against Carter surfaced on social media on Monday.

Carter was accused by a user of sexual assault and grooming a minor victim.

"d**n happy 10 year anniversary to number [s] that was a crazy time in my life cause i made so many new friends, became dookie, and officially got assaulted by @official tc while i was 14 years old..." the user tweeted.

Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Coronavirus: Bolton and Trafford Ask to Continue Restrictions


RAHUL SHARMA DEBT CONNECT IN MANCHESTER, UK,





A Covid spike in Bolton and Trafford has prompted council bosses to ask for restrictions to remain in place, a day before they were due to be lifted.

Tighter rules were introduced in July in Greater Manchester and parts of Yorkshire after concerns the virus was being spread between households.

Bolton currently has one of the highest rates of new virus cases per 100,000 residents in England.

Its council said it had made the decision "with a heavy heart".

On Friday, the government said measures banning people from different households from meeting indoors or private gardens would be lifted in Bolton, Stockport, Trafford, Burnley, Hyndburn and parts of Bradford, Calderdale and Kirklees.

But Bolton Council said the "unforeseen spike" in the local infection rate means restrictions should remain in place "until further notice".

Bolton has recorded 170 new cases in the week to 29 August, up from 53 the week before, meaning it has one of the highest rates in England at 59 new cases per 100,000 residents.

The rate in Trafford has risen from 19.4 to 35.4, with 84 new cases.

The decision would also mean certain businesses, including those offering close-contact services, will not reopen as planned.

Bolton council leader David Greenhalgh said: "It is with a heavy heart that [we] have come to this decision and this will be incredibly disappointing for both residents and business owners.

"We urged the government to lift Bolton out of the additional restrictions at a time when infection rates were low. This was the right decision at the time.

"However, there has been a sudden and unforeseeable rise in the number of coronavirus cases in Bolton.

"We have always been led by the data, which means we have no choice but to act quickly to keep everyone safe."

Marcus Rashford Brings Food Brand Giants Together to Tackle Child Food Poverty


RAHUL SHARMA DEBT CONNECT IN MANCHESTER, UK,



Footballer Marcus Rashford has formed a taskforce with some of the UK's biggest food brands to try to help reduce child food poverty.

The 22-year-old Manchester United forward successfully campaigned to extend free school meals this summer.

He has spoken about his own experiences of using a food voucher scheme as a child and was praised for pressing the government into a U-turn on the issue.

He has written to MPs, outlining the help he feels some families still need.

The group of supermarkets, businesses and charities - including Aldi, Asda, Co-op, Deliveroo, FareShare, Food Foundation, Iceland, Kellogg's, Lidl, Sainsbury's, Tesco and Waitrose - have formed a taskforce and backed proposals from the National Food Strategy, an independent review of UK food policy.

Mr Rashford said he was "confident" the group could help change lives "for the better".

Speaking to BBC Breakfast, he said the move to extend free school meals over the summer had been a "short-term solution" to stopping children from going hungry, but it "wasn't going to work in the long run".

"We had to think about the best way to do it, to think about how these families can eat long term and not have any issues," he said.

Mr Rashford is hoping that, with a bigger team of experts around him, he might be able to help more children.

"We wanted to do it the best way we could, introduce the best people into our group, and see if using them [we] can push it even more."

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53979648